Friday, September 7, 2012

Whoop! Whoop! Sept 7, 2012

Fall Fantasia went to the Fair, and came home wearing a blue ribbon!!  I'm just thrilled :-)  Another quilt, my Mary Engelbreit "Friends" lap quilt also won a blue ribbon.  Woohoo, happy dance.  And Whoop! Whoop!  
The pattern for this quilt was pretty easy, it was a download from AllPeopleQuilt.com.  But the best part was the fun of pulling out all the batiks I could find that would work for an autumn quilt!  The blocks were pretty small, finishing at 6", but they were enlarged by adding 2 1/2" sashing strips, log-cabin style, on just two sides.  Alternating strips on the right side then the bottom quickly added up to be a 12" block!  You could use virtually any block for the center, add sashing to two, three or four sides and you've got a quick way to make a bigger block!

During the time I worked on the Fall Fantasia, I quilted a huge quilt (100x110, I think it was) for a friend, and forgot to take its picture.  She had made it some time ago, and it was doomed to the storage closet because she'd decided to hand quilt it.  But because it was so large, she just couldn't take that first bite!  I did a wavy line from side to side, inserting some swirls to give it a greater swoopy feel, and it turned out nice.  



I had a remnant of upholstery fabric I'd picked up years ago that I intended to use on the two bar stools we have at the kitchen counter. Just wanted to spiff them up a bit, and there was a spot on one seat that I just couldn't get clean.  I hadn't done any upholstery before, but after Mr. Happiness took off the seats, I cut and stapled awhile, and suddenly they were like new!  Easy, peasy, and quick! I really love this fabric and wish I had enough to redo the dining chairs.  

Somehow, I've managed to pinch a nerve in my neck and I have pain down my shoulder, along my arm and into my little finger.  So I've been chilling on the couch for a couple of days, and I really didn't feel like going to my guild meeting today.  But I promised someone I'd meet them there, so off I went.  I'm so glad I did!!  It's so refreshing to visit with my girlfriends, experience the comraderie of fellow quilters, and be inspired by the talents of the ladies in my group.  I'm chomping at the bit to start on another quilting project, but I have to be good for another day or two.  

Meanwhile, go to Sarah's blog -- confessionsofafabricaddict.blogspot.com -- and see what the Whoop! Whoop! is all about!

Celebrate the changing of the season!

6 comments:

  1. Fall quilts always appeal to me and yours with the bright colors is no exception! Beautiful!

    My girlfriends and I meet for lunch every two months. We've known each other since grade school. Nothing like the girls for some healing therapy. Hope you are good as new soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your ribbons - love this scrappy quilt! Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fall is my favorite- your quilt is beautiful! I know about shoulder problems :( feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, whoop whoop for you!! Two ribbons - and that fall fantasia quilt is just gorgeous! And isn't is wonderful how easy changing your seat cushions is - kind of makes you want to do it all the time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the two ribbons!! Your chair cushions look great, too. Hope you're feeling better soon. There is fabric and patterns awaiting your recovery!

    ReplyDelete