Thursday, October 4, 2012

Anita's Arrowhead Tutorial

Since there was interest in having a tutorial for Anita's Arrowhead blocks (see my last post), here you go!  First, I have to say, this is a pattern from a Quiltmaker magazine, but that only date that appears is 2011, so I can't tell you which issue.  

This is a really unique technique, and fun to do.  That said, the first few times you make it, you'll probably want to refer to the instructions.  The main thing is, watch where the darks and lights go when you lay it out for stitching!  

The pattern calls for 8" squares of fabric, that are cut at 2".  I already had a big stack of 6" squares, so in order to have it look better proportioned I cut the pieces at 1 1/2" and that's what I'm referring to in the directions.  

Stack a dark and a light square, right sides together. Make a mark on the top right and bottom left, 1 1/2" from the edge.

Sew 1/4" seam down from the mark at the top right, to the bottom, pivot and continue across the bottom and sew off the edge.  Turn and do the same on the other side.

Yes,  you'll have two open spots!  Weird, huh?  It's ok.  Then you will cut the square diagonally, once.  Watch the direction of the diagonal.







Now take the top triangle, turn it and stack it on top of the bottom triangle.  
Now you'll cut a strip 1 1/2" from the left and from the bottom.  

You'll wind up with an assortment that looks like this.  Snip the rabbit ears and press the seams open.
Rearrange the pieces according to the following photo, paying attention to the placement of the darks (brown) and the lights (print), and sew.
Trim to make it a 6" square.


Tada!  Now you can put a bunch of these on your design wall and decide on the layout.  (I still haven't decided on mine.)

If you have any questions, please leave a comment.
Enjoy!
Brita

5 comments:

  1. OMGsh. That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Brita,
    I envy your fabric; That's an exciting arrangement you made from it.
    -Anita

    BTW, These are links to some additional images:
    http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns/details.html?idx=12909

    http://www.quiltmaker.com/blogs/quiltypleasures/2011/08/visiting-anita-plus-giveaway/

    -The Quiltmaker print version was published in the Nov/Dec 2010 issue. Time does fly... I received my Nov/Dec 2012 issue in the mail today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, I'm thrilled you stopped by! People, take a look at her videos on YouTube, great ideas! She also has videos on her MakeItSimpler.blogspot.com blog. I love the fusible interfacing she came up with -- so many ways to use it.

      Delete
  3. This is soooo beautiful! I have made this block before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am making this block with fall colors.

    ReplyDelete